Friday, June 28, 2013

Independence on 4th of July

FTSF is here. Join in the fun. Today's sentence is:

The best fourth of July I had was when I turned 18


4th of July signifies independence!

I was given the liberty to make my own decisions after I turn 18.

I do not deny that I made all the right decisions in life, but to fall and then get up and lick my wounds is another way to get going!

Correct?

I made quite a few blunders and wasted some money of my parents.  Allowing me to trod on a path without any guards, was the decision, thus there was no argument at home.

Computer programming was one of them.

Being a chemistry major, I was told that Computer programming is like writing a recipe, and since I had been making concoctions in my lab on a daily basis. I thought of venturing into the BASIC  programming language.

Example :
PUT "What is your name: ", UserName$
PRINT "Hello "; UserName$
DO
  INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", NumStars
  Stars$ = STRING$(NumStars, "*")
  PRINT Stars$
  DO
    INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", Answer$
  LOOP UNTIL Answer$ <> ""
  Answer$ = LEFT$(Answer$, 1)
LOOP WHILE UCASE$(Answer$) = "Y" 
PRINT "Goodbye "; UserName$




Unfortunately, my logic would not work.

What's in a name? Why need stars? What for?

Seriously, do you get it?

I remember my computer instructor would ask us to make such weird programs, which made no sense.

Result: My brain did not absorb any logistics of this class. I suffered for 6 long months. All that was taught bounced off my gray matter. I was left with bitterness since firstly wasted money and secondly, I was left confused why do they say that computer programming is like writing a recipe.

I left that statement as is, and continued on with my life.

Mantra for today: Sometimes, things unresolved is the key to happiness




4 comments:

Janine Huldie said...

Oh we have all my poor decisions, but it is truly learning from them and not repeating them that counts. And sounds like you have more then done that. Thanks for linking up with us as always and have a great weekend now!! Voted for you, too!! :)

Sunday Reflections or Stumbling Towards Happiness by Bill Holland said...

Shoot, Ruchira, I have paved my life with wrong decisions, and sealed the pavement with good intentions. :) We learn and we move on.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful 4th of July...oh, my best one....that will be my next one.

Unknown said...

I couldn't stand computer programming. I sat there in class with a "duh" look on my face. I have no idea how I passed. I'm right with you.

Anonymous said...

Its often those wrong turns or as I view them detours in life that show us the way forward.. They make us stronger and also allow us to discover what it is in life we do or don't want.. But without their experience we would not make up our mind...

And how clever that you should even contemplate to even try to learn computer programming!..

I learnt myself the keyboard and PC Skills.. trial and error!.. lots of Errors to begin with.. :-)
But we learn! and grow..

loved your mantra..
~Sue xx