Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Recent School Shootings and change in their policies

Lately, with so many shootings happening around the United States of America that I had to face quite a turmoil with a sick kid.

My kid has been home since Sunday with viral.  Late afternoon he felt better, so I pinged the teacher if I could come by to pick up his homework. I drive by the usual gate and try to walk myself past in. But the gate was locked. I tried the other gate, and that was locked too. 

Why?

"Security reasons," said the Guard.

"Okay, but I need to get across to Room 18 and  pick up my kid's homework." I said understandably.

"Sure, you can. But come around the time of departure." Replied the Guard who wanted to abide by the rules of the school.

"But, that does not make sense." I argued.

The guard stuck to his side of the story, and after many failed attempts at my conversation. I left.

My 2 cents

Sure, security is crucial, and I do not deny that. But, a common man is facing the consequences of all these changes and gets affected by it the most.

Home schooling children would be a better choice, but then parents need to plan the curriculum and that take in quite a bit of effort.

For now, I could either agitate about it or try to make a change by being a change myself.

Mantra for today: Security is crucial, but at times it becomes an inconvenience.

6 comments:

mail4rosey said...

I'm sorry you didn't get in to get the homework. We've not had any changes here... I went to sign in at the office and the secretary told me I didn't need to (when it's school policy to do so). I was surprised... Not sure how I feel about it, other than what a terrible shame we have to feel about it, if that makes any sense.

Janine Huldie said...

I am so with you on this. Security is unfortunately a necessary evil, but there are times like picking up your kids homework that I can be a real hassle. That said, I hear you also on the homeschooling issue. Great post and you truly said a mouthful here. Voted as always!!

Cynthia said...

Man! THat sounds frustrating! There's such a thing as too much security - peoples' freedom to do what they need to do then stops. :\

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

Sorry Ruchira!

Unknown said...

I understand the need for security but I think sometimes we take it to extremes. It's a fine line to walk between safety and insanity. I hope your school bends a bit in the future

Sunday Reflections or Stumbling Towards Happiness by Bill Holland said...

Not only inconvenience, but it feeds the fear that society has and I don't think that is healthy.