Thursday, November 3, 2016

Death, Heritage and Generations to come....

October has been a month of many emotions. It started off with a shock that was followed by a rewind of all those years with my dad's sister, then coming to terms with it, and being able to say my goodbye to her.

It was also a month of anniversaries where my dad and granddad passed away.

Besides the sorrow, the disturbance and the tears, it was also the month of Diwali, which is a festival of lights as each individual tries to light up the diya/lamp in places where there is darkness, gloom, ignorance, and obscurity.


No doubt there were mixed feelings at first when this festival arrived. Since early weeks made me see death and now this celebration...very confused!

But then I pondered over the meaning of this festival...it's the lighting of the lamps not only in and around the house but also within to remove darkness, gloom, ignorance, and obscurity. This light actually makes man ponder within and help change their perspective especially since negativity always looms stronger than positive thoughts.

Since when it comes to death, we are no doubt somber by the loss of a loved one, but honestly science has proven that ever since a baby is born he/she is decaying each day! Thus, death is a natural process. No doubt as humans we get attached to that person and want her/him around us, but the law of nature is that we are mortal so got to chin up.  I think we should be happy for that individual especially if she/he has done all her duties on this planet.

Duties?
Huh?

According to the famous rhyme by James Orchard Halliwell and published in 1842 with the lyrics:

Solomon Grundy,

Born on a Monday,

Christened on Tuesday,

Married on Wednesday,

Took ill on Thursday,

Grew worse on Friday,

Died on Saturday,

Buried on Sunday,

That was the end,

Of Solomon Grundy.


That would be a waste of life! Where nothing was accomplished.

But a person who was a conscientious being, and brought up her children in a healthy environment, and made sure they made life too of themselves. That would be a person who would be remembered, appreciated since her legacy will be carried forward via incidents or stories that involved her to generations to come!

As we usher the month of November towards Thanksgiving week which will make me fill up with gratitude towards my ancestors and my elders who gave me love, affection and guided me in times of distress and adversity.

 I shall honor this post to my dad's sister (my aunt) who was a kind soul and always had the self-respect within to keep rowing her boat no matter what! In spite of the pain that those nasty overgrown cells within her body were causing her, she did not give up on herself, and that's what is commendable! I pray her soul rests in peace.

Mantra for today: “The songs of our ancestors are also the songs of our children.” 
― Philip Carr-Gomm

------



No comments: