China invented the gunpowder around the 9th century, which was followed by the invention of firearms. These devices were passed on to the Middle East, Europe and the rest of the world.
A gun is a weapon that consists of a metal tube from which bullets are discharged out by force, and this force can injure or even kill somebody.
A gun is not a toy, and it can change the life of the victim or his family if and when they are exposed to.
Public health experts have named gun violence as a “Social Disease”. This disease is like a virus and is spreading its wings fast. No age group or sex is being spared. Many have become victims of mindless owners of this weapon.
This is a serious weapon and strict regulations should be enforced for anybody possessing this gun. Surprisingly, that is not the case. In the coming years, many incidents have sparked where the ownership of the weapon is being questioned.
Civilians in the United States currently own 300 million firearms, which is the highest concentration in the world.
"We need to take a harder look at what’s really going on. Stop trying to treat the symptoms and treat the cause of the problem. Maybe we should try a little harder to help these kids before they feel so cornered that they turn into monsters.”
― Aaron B. Powell, Guns
― Aaron B. Powell, Guns
There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.
Why do people own guns?
A survey was conducted. Some of the weapon owners regarded:
- Gun ownership as being Cool
- Some possess it since; they have a passion for hunting
- Some regard it as a Family Legacy.
- Gun ownership is for Social reasons such as cowboy action shooting or other activities
- Possessing a gun for Self Defense
- Purchasing a gun as an investment, since they never decline in value
- Some owners have an interest in the Mechanics of Firearms
- Few people have a historical interest such as old Kentucky rifle and try to acquire a similar weapon
- Some give significance to their families who served in the military by owning such a weapon that was used during wartime.
How to control the gun ownership?
Gun control should become the responsibility of the Government to monitor since; this disease is spreading like fire. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine to prevent it.
The ongoing gun culture was founded on the mass extermination of Native Americans and the slavery of African Americans. Guns were used to slaughter each other down. Since then Guns are embedded in our American culture.
Why should the Government take action?
The United States has an appalling history of racism that has produced some hate groups. These citizens are deluded, paranoid and cannot manage the ownership of such deadly weapon.
There is poverty and inequality present around. Could blame it on Inflation and the economy.
There are about 58 million Americans with significant mental problems and with a rise in the costs of health insurances and a decline in mental hospitals, these people are out there armed and dangerous.
Our Arms industry is profiting over humanity by selling weapons to billions each year. These billions include many who are sick of the mind. Thus, putting our innocent public in danger.
As John F. Kennedy said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
Let us unite under that stance and terminate this bug from the face of our nation. The government should join hands with the common man and help fight this disease before it extincts us all.
Now, People there are some steps that we should take for Gun Control.
We should Voice our opinions over:
- Tightening the gun laws--A periodic background check of citizens who possess a gun. They are required to summon in the "Gun Control Room" for a thorough checkup, and that includes mental as well. Their background should also be checked for any instances that went unmarked.
- Restore mental health system for people who need help. Make sure they are in the adequate facilities to get the desired help.
- Have a quota for the sales of legal weapons for each year. That will help the government to keep control and tab on the number sold and will assist them in monitoring them on a six monthly basis.
- Although this has been observed to date...Continue to reduce the public access to guns.
My 2 cents
No doubt this weapon is creating havoc in all our lives. There is an alternative to it, but the question and the challenge is if mankind could revert to it?
Mantra for today: NonViolence is the weapon of the strong